Alchemist Guild

From List of schools
Tuition rates

To attend this school, a character must have at least a 12 constitution. In addition to learning about compounds, students gain mechanical skills. To determine the compounds available to the Alchemist, divide the grade by 2 and round up.

Fungi thrive in the ground of this world. The sun supplies additional infra-red and ultra-violet radiation that fungi can flourish even deep underground. These fungi provide a wide range of compounds for poisons and antidotes.

Exposure is the medium and duration that will destroy the compound. Some compounds simply deteriorate with time regardless of exposure. Typically, a sealed container will keep a compound the longest and exposure to water will destroy a compound in the shortest length of time. Exposures are shown as W, A, S for water, air, and sealed. A time follows each letter to designate the shelf life given the stated environment.

Grade Level Avg Cost Distract Disable Damage Perm Dam Antidote/ Healing
1 1 20 sp Loss Hearing, Smell Convulsions, Weakness 1d6
2 1 15 gp A,B
3 2 20 gp Drunkeness Feeblemind, vomit Hp, Acid Explosives 1d8
4 2 50 gp C,D
5 3 100 gp Enrage, Panic Stun, Sleep, Blind Rust 2d6
6 3 300 gp D
7 4 500 gp Paralyze Insanity Rotting 2d8
8 4 1000 E
9 5 1000 Coma Death 4d4
10 5 2000 F
11 6 5000 Additional forms 4d6
12 6 5000 G
13 7 10000 Additional forms 4d8
14 7 10000 Additional forms H

Duration of effect specifies the length of time the poison remains in the victim’s system. Permanent means the poison permanently destroys functionality regardless of how long it remains in the system. There are four different delivery methods, and tables for each are listed here.
Compound Level Links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7

Delivery Antidote Onset Exposure Duration Area Cost
Injection A, B, E-H (Lv) 2r W-2t, A-2d, S-4w 15 turns Single 15 sp – 1,000 gp
Spray A, B, F-H (Lv) 3r W-1t, A-1d, S-2w 10t Few 15 gp – 2,000 gp
Powder A, B, C, F-H (Lv) 4r W-1r, A-4d, S-4w 15t Several 15 gp – 5,000 gp
Gas A, B, D, F-H (Lv) 2r W-2r, A-2r, S-4d 20t 2×2 area 300 gp – 10,000 gp

Accidental Poisoning

The alchemist has the same chance of successfully handling a compound as they have of making their reflex saving throw. For the sake of convenient game mechanics, this check is always made when the compound is deployed. However, Alchemists actively build tolerances to compounds as part of their training. A compound they are trained to use will only have half the duration when a they fail their saving throw and poison themselves. When an alchemist gains the use of level 2 compounds, they will have obtained tolerance to all level 1 compounds. If they fail a saving throw, they will take damage equal to the compound level times 2. This continues for each level of compound gained: level 2 immunity when level 3 compounds can be used.

Antidotes

In addition to tolerance, alchemists can prepare antidotes at higher levels. They can also find or purchase antidotes. This can be compared to magic potions.

A. Metabolic speed
This antidote does not protect the individual from the poison, but does shorten the duration of the effect. This is an injected antidote and is generally low cost.
Cost: 10 sp

B. Metabolic slow
This antidote can be ingested or injected. It slows the onset time of the poison but also lengthens the duration.
Cost: 10 sp

C. Stomach flush
This antidote can remove the compound from the victim, reducing the exposure. This is an ingested antidote. It will cause the victim to vomit for 1-4 turns. There is a 50% chance the poison will take no effect, a 25% chance that the effect will last for only half the intended duration, and a 25% chance the effect will be the same.
Cost: 50 gp

D. Anti Compound spray
This antidote causes the compound to decompose. It must be applied to the poison before poisoning. This spray can be put on a cloth and used to filter most gas.
Cost: 100 gp

E. Powdered goat stomach stones
This ingested antidote will cure the effects of level 1 and 2 compounds.
Cost: 100 gp

F. Dragon blood
This ingested antidote will cure the effects of level 1-4 compounds.
Cost: 1,000 gp

G. Powdered unicorn horn
This ingested antidote will cure the effects of level 1-6 compounds.
Cost: 2,000 gp

H. Phoenix tears
This ingested antidote will cure the effects of all poisons.
Cost: 5,000 gp

Level 1 Compounds

There are 5 new Level 1 compounds. These can be used to create surprise or distraction.

New Compounds

Injection Hearing loss

This compound causes the effected creature (victim) to hear a buzzing sound in their ears. This buzzing is loud enough that that have a hard time hearing.
This doubles their chance of being surprised, so if they were only surprised on 2 in 6, they can now be surprised with 4 in 6.
Cost: 20 sp injection, 20 gp spray, 100 gp powder, 300 gp gas

Injection Loss of smell

This compound causes the effected creature to lose their sense of smell because they now smell an obnoxious odor.
This increases their chance of being surprised by 50%, so if they were only surprised on 2 in 6, they can now be surprised with 3 in 6. For those creatures that rely on smell, they could be affected to a greater extent.
Cost: 15 sp injection, 15 gp spray, 50 gp powder, 300 gp gas

Injection Convulsions

This compound causes muscles to twitch or convulse involuntarily.
AC dexterity bonus drops in half. Generally this drops the armor class by 2 steps
Cost: 15 sp injection, 15 gp spray, 50 gp powder, 300 gp gas

Injection Weakness

This compound creates flu like symptoms in the sense of an aching and weak feeling (not nausea). Infected individuals will want to sleep and will feel lethargic. If they do sleep, they will generally sleep for double their normal sleep duration.
Strength bonuses dropped in half. This applies to creatures like Hill Giants and Ogres.
Cost: 15 sp injection, 15 gp spray, 50 gp powder, 300 gp gas

Injection Diuretic

This compound creates an extreme thirst, intense need to urinate each turn. This will not affect combat, but it double the chance of surprise. So a 30% chance of surprise (1,2d6) increases to a 60% chance of surprise (1-4d6). It will cause the infected individual to stay in a location where they typically void themselves if that is a special or designated location.
Cost: 20 sp injection, 20 gp spray, 100 gp powder, 300 gp gas

Level 2 Compounds

There are 7 new compounds and 10 upgraded compounds at this level.

New Compounds

Injection Memory loss

The victim will be unable to remember how to use any of their spells, clerical or mystic, until the poison wears off.
Cost: 20 gp injection, 100 gp spray, 500 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Injection/Spray Feeble mind

This compound creates a type of confusion that reduces the intelligence and charisma scores to 1. The victim is unable to use intelligence or charisma-based skills, cast spells, understand language, or communicate coherently. Still, the victim knows who its friends are and can follow them, protect them, and will defend itself.
Cost: 20 gp injection, 100 gp spray, 500 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Injection/Spray Drunkenness

This compound induces drunkenness in the victim. They take a -1 penalty to AC and all corresponding challenge classes (to distract, etc.), saving throws, and to hit rolls.
Cost: 15 gp injection, 50 gp spray, 300 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Injection/Spray Vomit/sickness

This compound causes the victim to feel ill and vomit periodically until the effects wear off.
All strength bonuses are dropped, and their ‘to distract’ armor class drops by two.
Cost: 15 gp injection, 50 gp spray, 300 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Injection/Spray Internal bleeding / HP loss

This poison causes internal bleeding and HP loss in the victim.
1 hp / turn
Cost: 15 gp injection, 50 gp spray, 300 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Spray Acid

This compound cases a burning sensation and HP loss as long as the acid remains on the victim.
They will take 3 points of damage per turn, and the acid takes a minimum of 4 turns to rub off. If the victim applies water to the affected area the acid will be washed off immediately. In the case of a gas, the damage is double and will continue for the duration of the poison.
Cost: 20 gp spray, 1,000 gp gas

Powder Explosive

This powder creates an expanding force when exposed to an open flame. If mixed with oil it will cause the oil to have twice the area of effect. If the powder is in the air like a dust and exposed to open flame, it will cause 1d6 of damage.
Cost: 15 gp powder, 300 gp gas

Upgrades

Spray: Hearing loss, Loss of smell, Convulsions, Weakness, Diuretic

Powder: Hearing loss, Loss of smell, Convulsions, Weakness, Diuretic

Level 3 Compounds

There are 9 new compounds and 12 upgrades at this level.

New Compounds

Injection Enrage

The victim goes into a murderous rage, killing anything they can reach until they are restrained or the effects wear off.
The victim gains a +2 bonus to Strength and Constitution and a –2 penalty to AC. They will attack indiscriminately.
Cost: 50 gp injection, 300 gp spray, 500 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Injection Panic

The victim will drop anything it is holding and flee in a random direction at top speed until the effects of the compound wear off. A panicked creature takes -2 on all saving throws. If cornered, they will cower in fear rather than attack.
Cost: 50 gp injection, 300 gp spray, 500 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Injection Stun

This poison causes the victim to become stunned. While stunned, the victim will drop everything they’re holding, will not take any actions, and has a -2 penalty to armor class.
Cost: 100 gp injection, 500 gp spray, 1,000 gp powder, 2,000 gp gas

Injection Sleep

This compound will cause the victim to fall into a deep sleep. They will not wake up until the effects of the compound wear off.
Cost: 100 gp injection, 500 gp spray, 1,000 gp powder, 2,000 gp gas

Injection/Spray Blindness

This compound causes the victim to go temporarily blind.
They fight with a -4 to hit and -4 defense.
Cost: 50 gp injection, 300 gp spray, 500 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Injection/Spray Confusion

This compound induces confusion in the victim. While confused, the victim’s actions are determined by a dice roll. There is a 10% chance they will attack an enemy (if identified), a 10% chance they will act normally, a 20% chance they will flee, a 30% chance they will babble nonsense, and a 30% chance they will attack the nearest creature. A confused character who is attacked will automatically return the attack at the next opportunity.
Cost: 50 gp injection, 300 gp spray, 500 gp powder, 1,000 gp gas

Spray Rust

This unique compound cases any iron it touches to become immediately rusted, weak, and worthless. If applied to armor it will effectively ruin the armor, and thoroughly rusted iron or steel can be broken with a powerful blow. Only the directly applied area will be effected.
Cost: 100 gp spray, 500 gp gas

Upgrades

Spray: Memory loss

Powder: Feeble mind, Drunkenness, Vomit/sickness, Memory loss, Internal bleeding

Gas: Explosive, Hearing loss, Loss of smell, Convulsions, Weakness, Diuretic

Level 4 Compounds

There are 3 new compounds and 17 upgrades at this level.

New Compounds

Injection Rotting

This compound causes a rotting effect similar to that of a green slime. After the onset of the poison, the character has nine turns to live, with their bodies decomposing further each turn. If a powerful enough antidote is administered before death, they will recover with no ill effects. The alternative cure is lighting oneself on fire. The character will take appropriate amount of damage depending on their method but will otherwise recover.
Cost: 500 gp injection, 1,000 gp spray, 2,000 gp powder, 5,000 gp gas

Injection/Spray Paralyze

This compound causes the victim to become completely immobile until the effects of the poison wear off. After the effects wear off, the victim will still be unable to fight or move at any pace above a shamble for an additional day.
Cost: 300 gp injection, 500 spray, 1,000 powder, 2,000 gas

Injection/Spray Insanity

The victim suffers from as if from a ‘confusion’ compound, but the effects will not stop until an antidote is administered.
Cost: 300 gp injection, 500 spray, 1,000 powder, 2,000 gas

Upgrades

Spray: Enrage, Panic, Stun, Sleep

Powder: Memory loss, Acid, Blindness, Confusion, Rust, Enrage, Panic, Stun, Sleep, Paralyze

Gas: Feeble mind, Drunkenness, Vomit/sickness

Level 5 Compounds

There are 2 new compounds and 11 upgrades at this level.

New Compounds

Injection/Spray Coma

The effects of this poison are similar to the sleep compound except that the victim cannot be woken and it has a special duration. Every day, there is a 10% chance the victim will die, a 10% they will awaken but be in a permanent vegetative state, a 20% chance they will wake up with no ill effects, and 60% chance nothing will change.
If a metabolic slow is given to the victim, this changes to a 10% chance of death and a 90% chance that nothing will change.
If a metabolic speed is given to the victim, this changes to a 20% chance they will die, a 20% chance they will awaken but be in a permanent vegetative state, a 40% chance they will wake up with no ill effects, and a 20% chance nothing will happen.
If a powerful enough antidote is given to the victim at any time, they will wake up with no ill effects.
Cost: 1,000 gp injection, 2,000 gp spray, 3,000 gp powder, 5,000 gp gas

Injection Death

This compound will kill the victim two rounds after the onset of the poison. If a powerful enough antidote is administered one turn before poisoning, the victim will fully recover after a day of bed rest. If the antidote is administered after poisoning but before the onset of symptoms, the victim will recover after two days of bed rest. If the antidote is administered after the onset of symptoms but before death, the victim will recover with a week of bed rest. Once the victim is dead, no antidotes can be administered.

In addition to antidotes, if the victim has a constitution of 15 or higher they get a saving throw against the poison. If a victim is poisoned with a fatal compound and recovers, they will acquire a resistance to that same poison (a compound that is injected is considered a different poison from one that is administered a different way). If they are poisoned with the same compound a second time, there is a 50% chance the compound will not kill them even if an antidote is not used, though they will require a week of bed rest. If they are poisoned a third time, there is only a 20% chance the compound will kill them and after a week of bed rest they will be immune.
Cost: 1,000 gp injection, 2,000 gp spray, 5,000 gp powder, 10,000 gp gas

Upgrades

Spray: Rotting

Powder: Insanity, Paralyze

Gas: Internal bleeding, Acid, Memory loss, Blindness, Confusion, Rust, Panic, Enrage

Level 6 Compounds

There are 8 upgraded compounds at this level.

Upgrades

Spray: Death

Powder: Death Coma, Rotting

Gas: Stun, Sleep, Paralyze, Insanity

Level 7 Compounds

There are 3 upgraded compounds at this level.

Upgrades

Gas: Coma, Rotting, Death

Alchemist Guild

Roustein Colossus Colossus